iRelaunch Comprehensive List of Career Reentry Programs Worldwide
June 2015 updated
Background: There has been an explosion of career reentry programs since 2004, when the topic of career reentry began to gain steam in the media and as a research topic for academics. In October 2008, our first list included 57 programs worldwide, at universities, employers, government agencies, professional associations, non-profits and foundations. Only nine of these 57 programs, or 16%, existed prior to 2004. Domestically, six of 43, or almost 14%, existed prior to 2004.
We update the list whenever we become aware of a new return to work program. At this point we have 135 programs identified since we began the list (note we don’t double count programs that are offered jointly between a school and a company, although we list them separately). Any return to work program at a university, employer, government agency, professional association, non-profit or foundation that has run at least once makes the list. We also include a section called "Specialty Programs" featuring small companies with recruiting programs dealing exclusively with returning professionals. At the end of most program descriptions, we indicate years in which the program ran and if it is still running. Note some programs that are no longer running were designed to only run once, while others might have been intended to run longer but did not.
Help us keep the list current and accurate! Please contact us at info@iRelaunch.com to let us know about additions or corrections to the list.
And now….The List!
1) Albany Medical College, Albany, NY: Upstate New York Clinical Competency Center - Physician Reentry
12 weeks, $6,500. Customized for each physician. Ongoing.
2) American University, Washington College of Law, Online Program: Lawyer Re-Entry Program: Reconnect, Refocus, and Reclaim Your Legal Career
Three week program consisting of pre-recorded lectures, online interactive sessions, written assignments, and exercises; $1,350, Runs annually during the spring and fall; Program was run in person 2008 through 2013. Program will be online only starting in 2014.
3) Australian Graduate School of Management (with UBS), Kensington, Australia: Career Comeback for Professional Women Reentering the Workforce
Two-day program, free (underwritten by UBS), Ran 2007, 2008.
4) Baruch College, Zicklin School of Business, New York, NY: Opting Back In
Three-day program, $975. Ran 2008.
5) Bentley University, Waltham, MA: More Opportunities for Mothers (“MOM” Program): Helping Women Professionally Refocus, Reinvent, Reconnect.
Five three-hour sessions over 10 weeks, $450, Runs 1-2x annually; 2007 – 2012. No longer running.
6) Bryn Mawr Summer Institute "Shifting Gears, Women Returning to Work". For Bryn Mawr alumnae and guests attending with an alumna. June 20-22, 2014 http://www.brynmawr.edu/alumnae/career/summerinstitute/
7) Center for Personalized Education for Physicians, Denver, CO: Clinical Practice Reentry Program.
Fee ranges from $7,000 to $20,000 depending on specialty, extent of education needs, and whether participant completes education activities through the CPEP Program. Ongoing. Also see "Convening for Reentry" webinar, May 2013.
8) Columbia Business School (with Merrill Lynch), New York, NY: Greater Returns
Three-day program, $350, Ran 2008, 2009.
9) Drexel University Medical School, Philadelphia, PA: Drexel Medicine Physician Refresher/Re-entry Course
Six-week preceptureship in clinical venues ($7,500), medical update ($7,500), online clinical skills ($8,500). All three combined ($20,000). Ongoing.
10) Glyndwr University (Wrexham Campus, Wales): Return to Practice in Nursing
This short course is aimed at nurses in northeast Wales currently not active on the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) Register. Course duration is three to six months on average, depending on the needs of the student, starting in June 2014. For info, email firstname.lastname@example.org
11) Harford Community College, Bel Air, MD: Computer Skills for Today’s Workforce
One full-day session, $99 + $15 fee. Ongoing.
12) Harvard Business School, Boston, MA: A New Path: Setting New Professional Directions
Six-day residential program, $6,500. Runs annually, 2006 – present.
13) Harvard Business School, Boston, MA: Charting Your Course: Discovering Working Options
Two-day program, $600. Runs annually, usually in May, 2001 – present.
14) Kellogg School of Management, Evanston, IL: Re-entering the Workforce
Two-day program, $140, includes CareerLeader assessment. Ran 2008.
15) Lipscomb University, Nashville, TN: Elevate Women: Rekindle Your Career
Three days + coaching. $650 general, $500 alum. Cancelled before it ran (2009).
16) London Metropolitan University, RIBA: Practice in the UK
For qualified architects seeking to refresh their professional knowledge before returning to practice after a break.
17) London School of Economics (with UBS), London, England: Career Comeback for Professional Women Reentering the Workforce
Three-day program, free (underwritten by UBS). Ran 2008.
18) Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA: Career Reengineering Program
Four-day boot camp, semester long course, 10-week internship, career coaching, $15,500, Ran 2006-2012.
19) William Mitchell College of Law: Planning Your Career Re-Entry: Strategies for J.D. Holders Returning to the Workforce
This half-day CLE is tailored to assist JDs who plan on re-entering the professional work force and covers preparing for interviews, writing successful resumes and cover letters, and updating your legal research skills. Free for Mitchell alumni; $25 for non-Mitchell attendees. Ran in 2011 and 2012 and is under consideration for 2013. For more information, contact Ms. Melissa Lee Wright, J.D., externship director for the Walter Mitchell Career Services office.
20) Nursing Knowledge International (Online): Return to Nursing Refresher Program
40-60 hours covering general nursing fundamentals. $350. On hold for updating.
21) Open University (Online), U.K.: Return to Science, Engineering and Technology
10-week online course, £185. Ran 2010, 2011. Not currently offered.
22) Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR: Physician Reentry Program
Two-three months, $8,000 - $10,000 per month. 2009 - 2013. No longer running.
23) Pace University’s School of Law (with the Westchester Women’s Bar Association) New Directions for Attorneys is a 5½ month program that includes substantive law overview classes covering a wide range of practice areas; a computerized legal research and legal writing program; individual career counseling and career-related workshops; and the opportunity to obtain an externship with an organization that provides supervised practical experience and mentoring. Includes 24+NYS CLE credits. Tuition and fees; $7,000. Runs twice a year—once in White Plains, NY and once in midtown NYC. 2007 - Present
24) Princeton University Woodrow Wilson School, Princeton, NJ: Pathways to Public Service: A Workshop on Re-entering the Workforce
Three-day program, free (underwritten by Woodrow Wilson). 28 alumni participated. Ran 2008, Cancelled 2009.
25) Sheffield Hallem University, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, U.K.: Return to STEM
Three-day course over three months for women interested in returning to STEM fields after a career break; 400 GBP. Ran October – December 2010.
26) Singapore Management University (with UBS): Singapore Career Comeback for Professional Women Reentering the Workforce
Two-day program, free (underwritten by UBS). Last offered 2008.
27) Stanford Graduate School of Business, Stanford, CA: What’s Next – A Career Reentry and Development Series
Seven weekly sessions, $695. Ran 2008.
28) Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth, Hanover, NH: Back in Business: Invest in Your Return
11-day residential program over three weekends, $6,950 (partially underwritten by corporate sponsors). 73 people completed program. Average age 47. Ran 2006 - 2008.
29) Universidad del Pacifico, Lima, Peru: Programa de Especialización Essentials for Business
New 4-month return-to-work business program starting August. Applications open through July 31.
30) University of California Berkeley Haas School of Business, Berkeley, CA: Re-entering the Business World
One-day program, $95. Ran 2006, 2007.
31) University of California San Diego Medical School, San Diego, CA: Physician Assessment and Clinical Education Program
(PACE) Length and cost varies depending on customized program. Phase I averages $9,000 for 2 days, Phase II averages $6,000 for 5 days. Ongoing, 1996 - present.
32) University of California San Francisco Hastings College of the Law, San Francisco, CA: Opting Back In: Helping Attorneys Return to the Law
Run in conjunction with Ellen Ostrow, Lawyer’s Life Coach. 90-minute teleconference twice a month, $150 per month for two 90-minute calls. Ongoing.
33) University of Florida, Gainesville, FL Florida: Competency Advancement Program – Physician Reentry
Two days with final report six-eight weeks later. Post Licensure Assessment System exams, simulated patients, standardized patients. $8,500. Ongoing.
34) University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY: Alumni Association Career Relaunch Workshop Designed for Women
Five session small group coaching program meeting once a week for two hours each. $50 for UK alumni, $95 for non-alums. 2012 to present.
35) University of Lincoln, Brayford Pool, Lincoln Back2Science Fellowship
The University has established the Back to Science Fellowships to provide a one-year opportunity for both women and men in STEM subject areas, who have taken extended career breaks (>5 years), to join an established research group. Each Fellowship consists of a £16,000 bursary, with a further £5,000 available for consumable costs. There are TWO Fellowships available per annum.
36) University of Massachusetts McCormack Graduate School of Policy Studies, Boston, MA: Center for Women in Politics and Public Policy Graduate Certificate Program
Full-time, two-semester program includes evening courses, public policy case study research project and 200 hour, 10-15 hour per week internships at state, local or national government, or non-profit, think tank or lobbying group. Began 1968 at Simmons, moved 1971 to Boston College, and 1992 to UMass. Ongoing.
37) University of Toronto Faculty of Law, Toronto, ON: Women in Transition
Two-day program, $695 CDN. Runs annually in spring, 2009 – present.
38) University of Toronto Rotman School of Management: Back to Work Program
Focused on participants' individual needs to upgrade professional skills, meet potential employers, regain confidence, and build job-related network. (No exams or grades; access to complimentary childcare); Three modules (10.5 days over three months). 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Begins September 2013
39) University of Virginia, Darden School of Business, Charlottesville, VA: Re-entering the Workforce, Contact: email@example.com
Two-day program led by Connie English, Director, Alumni Career Services, UVA. Ran 2005 (UVA - D.C.), 2006 (Boston), 2007 (at Emory and at U of Chicago), 2008 (at Yale), 2009 (at London Business School), 2010 (at Stanford). $200. Runs periodically.
40) University of Western Ontario, Richard Ivey School of Business (with CIBC), London, ON: Reconnect: Career Renewal for Returning Professional Women
Seven-day residential program, $3,500 CDN (largely underwritten by CIBC and Ivey). Runs annually, 2008 – present.
42) University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Madison, WI: Wisconsin Physician Assessment Center
No longer running.
43) Wellesley College, Wellesley, MA: Shifting Gears
1.5 -day program, $50, Women in career transition program for alumnae on career break. Ran 2007, 2009, 2011.
44) The Wharton School (w/ UBS) Philadelphia, PA: Career Comeback for Professional Women Reentering the Workforce
Three-day program, free (underwritten by UBS). Ran 2007, 2008.
45) Xavier University, Williams College of Business, Mason, OH: Back to Business: A Workforce Re-entry Program for Professional Women
12-day program; $1,600. Ran 2007, 2008.
1) AboutOne, WI, UT, PA: Comeback Moms Returnship Program
Begin by working one month at $15/hour to determine fit at company. After one month, intern takes permanent role as an employee. Eight interns so far – all became permanent employees but this is not guaranteed. Began 2010, ongoing.
2) Allen and Overy (UK) - Return to Law
Pilot ‘returnship’ program open to 12 experienced lawyers in the Allen & Overy Alumni network on an extended career break to return to professional roles in the legal profession.
3) American Express, U.S., Singapore, U.K.: American Express Project Resource Team
See page 3 of hyperlinked pdf document. Internal Consulting Team for high performing employees on career break. Began 2006.
4) Axis Bank - India: 'Re-connect' offers jobs to former women employees who have left the system in the past 10 years, in select states. The bank now plans to take it national. Began April 2014. See this article for reference.
5) Bank of America Career Connections, announced November 2008 in this blog, no website.
Program to connect with mid- to senior-level professionals interested in a one to three year career break. 2008 focuses on B of A alums; 2009 focuses on non-alums also. Social events, peer coaching, development of “on-ramp” and “off-ramp” plan before leaving. Did not continue.
6) Bank of America Returning Talent Workshop
The Returning Talent Workshop was a comprehensive two-day workshop held at the Bank of America New York City office at One Bryant Park. The workshop provided coaching on returning to the workforce. In addition, participants learned about the current and emerging trends in business and technology and had networking opportunities with employees from Bank of America.The workshop invites participants who meet the following criteria:
• Have been away from work for five or less years,
• Have a minimum of seven years of experience within functions at finance, technology and other professional services firms,
• Exited the workforce at a mid-career level (equivalent to VP level) or above,
• Former Bank of America employees who fit these eligibility criteria are also encouraged to apply.
While there is no guarantee of employment with the bank at the end of the workshop, participants will have an opportunity to apply for open positions and pursue career opportunities as a result of their experience.
7) Bank of America Merrill Lynch: Returning Talent Programme (UK)
Three one-day workshops, executive coaching and access to employees and experts from Bank of America/Merrill Lynch. Twenty places available in inaugural class. Program started in 2012. Individuals who have taken a career break of three years or more to care for family members are eligible. Offered in partnership with the Executive Coaching Consultancy, a company which already partners with Bank of America to deliver maternity coaching workshops and the Mumsnet Family Friendly Programme.
8) BBN Technologies, Cambridge, MA: Technical Relaunchers Initiative
Four three-month, paid internships at Cambridge, MA headquarters, possibly leading to permanent employment. Specifically for returning computer scientists, electrical engineers, technologists. Began 2009, did not continue.
9) Bloomberg Returner Circle (UK) - In partnership with Women Returners Professional Network
For individuals with experience in financial services who have taken an extended career break. Program provides support and information, together with an initial exploration of opportunities at Bloomberg.
11) Booz & Co. Adjunct Program (Old Contract Consulting pool at pre-split BAH):
Contract pool of consultants on career break. Appears to have been discontinued.
12) Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA: Physician Reentry Program
Program is customized, depending on length and reason for career break, and medical specialty. Monthly tuition. Ongoing.
13) Cincinnati Children’s Hospital, Cincinnati, OH: Nurses Returning to the Workforce Program
Employment opportunity with individualized on-site training. Appears to have been moved into their Continuing Education department (see link).
14) Credit Suisse Real Returns
8-10 week paid employment program began 2014. Participants work on a short-term assignment with clearly defined objectives and measureable goals in one of the Credit Suisse business areas in New York. Projects assigned based on expertise, interests and skill set. Also in London.
15) Deloitte UK
Paid 12-week internship for women at senior management level who have been out of work for between three and six years. In the first year (2015), it will be open to Deloitte alumni. The goal is for 80% of participants to take up longer-term roles with the firm at the end of their internship.
16) Ernst & Young, London, England: Back to Practice
One-day updating and networking program, plus ongoing recruiting. Ran in 2008.
17) Equate Scotland Returning to Work Workshop
One-day course designed to help build confidence and overcome obstacles to return to the science, engineering or technology workplace.
18) General Electric, Bangalore, India: RESTART at GE John F. Welch Technology Center
Hires female technologists and engineers returning from career break at this largest of GE’s global research centers. Send resume or CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Began 2008, ongoing.
19) Goldman Sachs, New York, NY; Jersey City, NJ; Salt Lake City, UT; Hong Kong, China; Bangalore, India: New Directions/Returnship
New Directions: One-day updating program. Ran annually, 2006 to 2012.
Returnship: 10-week internships. Runs annually, 2008 to present.
20) Google India: gCareer
An opportunity to work with Google for qualified women professionals who have taken a break from active working life for a year or longer. Began Jaunary 2014. See this article for reference.
21) The Grommet (formerly Daily Grommet), Lexington, MA: Executive in Residence Program
Four- to six-month internships that may or may not lead to permanent employment. Stipend. Ran 2009-2013. Less active now.
22) HeraHub, San Diego, CA: Experienceship
Training and mentoring program where “experiencors” assist entrepreneurs sharing workspace at HeraHub. Pilot Summer 2012. Also ran 2013. $10/mth.
23) Honeywell International (with Society of Women Engineers), Morristown, NJ and other locations: Honeywell Initiative for Returning Engineers (HIRE) Program
Full-time job, mentoring, Society of Women Engineers conference, coursework Ran 2008, did not continue.
24) IBM, India: Bring Her Back Program
Any woman professional with a skill-match and a maximum of three years personal sabbatical from work qualifies to be a candidate. Primarily IT positions. Full-time job, mentoring, skills updating, professional development. Began 2011.
25) IBM, India: Liquid Plus Program
Program for IBM India alums to design and develop software applications as freelancers in a “transparent, short-cycle process.” Began 2011.
26) J.P. Morgan Asset Management ReEntry Program, Corporate Investment Banking ReEntry Program and Legal ReEntry Program.
Asset Management Program began Fall 2013 and will continue Fall 2014. Corporate Investment Banking and Legal ReEntry Program begin Fall 2014. The 18-week, New York-based 2014 program is looking to attract highly accomplished individuals who have taken a voluntarily career break, have prior experience or prospective interest in Asset Management and wish to return to the workforce fulltime after an absence of two or more years. This paid fellowship will run from mid-October through the end of February 2015. Inquiries should be directed to am.reentry@JPMorgan.com
27) Lehman Brothers, New York, NY, London, England, Tokyo, Japan, Hong Kong, China: Encore Program
One-day updating program, on going recruiting of ex-finance professionals on career break. Ran 2005 – 2008, when company collapsed.
28) Lloyd's Banking Group Returners Programme: London, Bristol, Manchester, Birmingham, Edinburgh
10 weeks paid internship in retail and commercial banking. Starts June 1, 2015. Prorated compensation for the 10 weeks, plus company car option and benefits. Must be on career break for at least two years to qualify.
29) L'Oreal Korea/Jongno Women's New Job Center - "Working Mom, the Second Beautiful Choice" return to work program.
Began in 2011, as part of 100th Anniversary of L'Oreal celebration in 2009 (it took two years from initial concept to implementation in 2011). 202 women have gone through the program since then, which is offered to the community, and 150 have returned to work, not necessarily at L'Oreal, but at a range of employers. 100 hours of training in areas including digital marketer, business administration manager and medical tourism coordinator. No charge. Running 2011 - 2015
30) Memorial Medical Center (non-profit Sutter Health Network), Modesto, CA: Clinical Nurse Residency Program (for the new or re-entry nurse)
Classroom/clinical updating for nurses on break who are returning to acute care setting. 16 weeks. Annual, 1995 – present. Began 2013.
31) Merrill Lynch (with Columbia Business School), New York, NY: Greater Returns
Three-day program, $350 (partially underwritten by Merrill Lynch), Ran 2008, 2009.
32) MetLife Investments Morristown, NJ: Metlife Take Two
One-day updating and career advice program. Ran in 2007.
33) MetLife Act2 - jobs.metlife.com/act2
Ten-week, paid internship program, in a supportive, diverse and exciting environment, for experienced professionals seeking to re-enter the workforce after an extended career break. All roles offered through Act2 are open positions at MetLife in a variety of locations including North Carolina, New York, New Jersey, Florida and Pennsylvania. Began Spring 2014.
34) Morgan Stanley Return to Work Program:
The Morgan Stanley Return to Work Program is a paid 12-week internship at the Morgan Stanley New York headquarters. From their description: "Internship opportunities exist across the Firm, including Fixed Income, Global Capital Markets, Investment Banking, Institutional Equities, Research, Investment Management, Wealth Management, Finance, Human Resources, Legal and Compliance, Operations, Risk and Technology. At the completion of the program, some participants may receive an offer for full-time employment." Began February 2014.
35) PricewaterhouseCoopers: Flexibility² Talent Network™
A firm-wide initiative to bring in professionals to the tax and audit practices from January – April.
36) PricewaterhousewCoopers Malaysia - Back2work programme
An initiative under our Work Life Plus Programme aimed at helping professional individuals rejoin the working world.
For the pilot, we're looking for:
• Qualified Accountants/ Tax professionals with 3 years experience or more;
• Those who have been away from the accounting profession for not more than 3 years; and
• Have experience working for a Big 4 accounting firm.
Drop us a line at email@example.com,com and ask us about our Back2work programme!
37) PricewaterhouseCoopers, Washington, D.C.: Back-to-the-Office Mom (BOM) program
Part of PwC’s Public Sector Practice, the program targets relaunchers. Began 2012.
38) RBS (Edinburgh, UK) Strategy ComeBack Programme
Senior professionals join RBS Strategy and Corporate Development (S&CD) team, which supports the CEO, CFO and RBS Executive committee to develop and advance the bank’s strategic agenda. 10 weeks. Paid. Launching September 2015.
39) Return Path: "ReturnShip" Program
22 weeks, for women in technology returning after 1+ year career break. Program runs October - March. Cohort size undefined.
40) Sara Lee Corporation, Downers Grove, IL: Returnships@Sara Lee
Six-month paid internship at Sara Lee’s Downers Grove, IL headquarters in accounting, finance, legal, brand management for those out of the workforce at least one year. Then evolved so returning professionals could apply directly to any open position without doing internship first. Began 2008. Program faltered when CEO Brenda Barnes, the champion of Returnships, left the firm for health reasons in 2010. Sara Lee was subsequently completely restructured and Returnships did not continue.
41) Starbucks Korea Returning Mom Re-employment program. Began Fall 2013. Goal is 100 returning moms a year. Open to alumni of Starbucks. Welcome Celebration, orientation, and assignment to nearest Starbucks to house.
42) Tata Group: Tata Second Career Internship Program (SCIP): Based in Mumbai, India
Tata SCIP s "a career transition management programme for women professionals who have taken a break of 6 months or more for any reason, and wish to re-enter the professional space. The programme provides opportunities for such women to take on flexi-hour assignments with various TATA group companies. Tata Group companies provide live business projects requiring approximately 500 hours of engagement spread over 6 months on a flexi time basis. There is no placement guarantee at the end of the project. However, SCIP consultants have the option of exploring full-time employment on mutually acceptable terms with the respective Group Company if the same exists." (from the Tata Group website)
43) ThoughtWorks, Chicago, IL, London, England: Back to IT Training
Four-week program focusing on developing Java programming skills, competitive process; 12 accepted, four offers, three hired. Ran 2007.
44) Thames Tideway Tunnel: Tideway Returner Programme - London
Paid 12-week internship starting on 13th April 2015 for people who have been out of the workforce for 2 years or more. Up to six opportunities available in the areas of: Business Planning, Legal, Stakeholder Engagement, Operations Management, Asset Management and Financial Modelling.
45) UBS, Philadelphia, PA; Sydney, Australia; Singapore; Hong Kong, China; London, England: Career Comeback for Professional Women Reentering the Workforce
Two- or three-day program depending on location. Began 2007 in Philadelphia, PA and Sydney, Australia, 2008 in Singapore, Hong Kong, China and London, England. Ran through 2009.
At Australian Graduate School of Management
At London School of Economics
At Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
46) Vodafone Returning to Technology Programme: Six-month paid placements, with possibility of turning into permanent role at end of placement. Also career support - on the job training, CV clinics. Deadline Sept 14, 2014. Programme started October 2014. Up to 30 former technology professionals to participate. Vodafone Bracknell or Newbury Offices (U.K.). Piloted in Ireland in 2012. All eight people who participated in the pilot in Ireland are now in roles in Vodafone. See related video here.
47) Wellcome Trust Career Reentry Fellowships (U.K. and Republic of Ireland)
Two- to four-year part time or full time fellowship for returning biomedical research scientists in the European Economic Area who will be doing research in the UK or Republic of Ireland. Must have career break of at least two years and must have had at least two years of post-doctoral scientific research experience before the career break. Applicants must secure a research sponsor and sponsoring laboratory.
48) Zillow "Returnship"
Three-month intership for returning software engineers. Includes assigned mentor and dedicated refresher training. Eligible candidates must have taken a career break of at least two years, have a BS in Computer Science, and more than five years of software development experience as either a front-end, back-end or full stack web developer. Returnship participants will be considered for full-time jobs with Zillow. Initially program has five positions open at Seattle headquarters, though plans are to expand to other offices, and eventually encompass roles outside of engineering.
Extended Leave Programs: For existing employees who want to take a multi-year career break and return to the same firm. Mentoring, social events, on-line courses, ad hoc consulting assignments are offered depending on program. Benefits suspended except for IBM. Eligibility for some programs is performance based.
1) BDO USA, LLP: BDO offers a strong family leave policy that includes nine weeks of fully paid leave for new biological and adoptive parents, and a return-to-work program to give new parents the resources and support that they need.
2) Cisco Systems Cisco’s “Off/On Ramp” enables employees to take a 12- to 24-month unpaid break from their career, with Cisco paying for the employee’s (and employee’s family members’) benefits during the first year.
3) Deloitte Personal Pursuits 5-year Extended Leave
4) Eli Lilly three-year Dependent Care Leave Program
5) IBM Three-year Extended Leave Program: See “leave of absence”
6) KPMG myLifestyle Program offers a choice of lifestyle options, including career breaks of up to one year and paid parental leave.
8) RSM McGladrey, Chicago, IL: Flex Careers five-year extended leave program
9) Skadden, New York, NY: Side Bar Three-year Extended Leave
10) Towry Law (650 employee U.K. Wealth Management and Financial Planning firm), London, England: Return to Work
Effort to recruit women returning from career break. 22-week program working towards the Chartered Insurance Institute’s Chartered Financial Planner qualification. Began 2007.
1) f1 Recruitment, Starcom MediaVest Group, Golin (London) - Back to Businessship
7-day course to gain a new perspective on skills and learn how to position yourself back in the job marketplace. For relaunchers who have worked in media, communications or marketing, are planning on returning to work in the next 6-9 months, have been out of the work place for at least three years and are not currently on maternity leave. Free. Candidates chosen from application process.
2) Inspire Impact Returnship
6-week program for women returning to work after a career break in the social enterprise sector. Focuses on career guidance, hard skills tech training, social enterprise speakers series and Echoing Green Work on Purpose curriculum as preparation for working in a social enterprise or non-profit. We will update with the cost when we have it.
3) OnRamp Fellowship, Nationwide
Competitive program to place experienced women lawyers returning to the legal profession with law firms for a one-year, $125,000, work/training mid-level associate position. Fifteen major law firms offer fellowships in 24 cities across the U.S. Individuals pay $250 to cover cost of assessments. Overview of legal technology and coaching advice provided as part of program. Application required. Began 2014.
4) Opt-in Consulting, New York, NY
Places experienced professionals back into the workforce through three to six month "Opt-Internships" at non-profits. Skill development, training and coaching provided for individuals. No charge to participants. Began 2014.
5) ReacHIRE, Boston, MA
Staffing firm matching selected, experienced women returning to the workforce with interested employers. Six-week "skills refresh," coaching and peer support, and placement in paid, part-time projects. Individuals pay $3,750. Application required. Began 2013.
6). Talent ReConnect , San Francisco Bay area, CA
Executive search/staffing firm for women from top MBA schools who are returning from career break. Placements are paid, part time or full time, 10- to 12-week returning professional internships at San Francisco Bay area companies with compensation for full-time interns ranging from $7,000 to $16,000 per month (some portion of this goes to Talent ReConnect as a fee). Began 2014.
7) ThinkFlex, Boston, MA
Contingency-based placement firm that partnered with professional mothers and employers. Internship program placed mothers returning to the workforce after 5+ years at home in temporary or consulting roles with non-profits and employers. Length of internship varied depending on employer. 2010- 2014.
8) Women's Development Unlimited "Back for Business" Programme
For women of any age who want to return to work, this course includes six workshops that help you explore your options and gain confidence. Funding from the Royal Bank of Scotland's Inspiring Women Programme provides heavily subsided pricing for participants.
1) Allegheny County Bar Association, Pittsburgh, PA: Back to the Bar
Designed to provide lawyers looking to re-enter the legal marketplace with the skills needed to position themselves for success. http://www.acba.org/acba/BackToBar/index.asp. The program is held two days per week over three consecutive weeks. $395 with early bird discount for ACBA members. Ran 2013.
2) American Bar Association New York, NY: Back to Business Law
Continuing legal ed and informal networking opportunities for attorneys on leave, monthly speakers series at NYC law firms, free. Ran 2006 – 2008.
3) Biochemical Society (London) Stay Connected Bursaries
Financial support to cover cost of registration, accommodation and/or care provider to attend a Biomedical Society conferences, workshops or training days to make it easier for people on a career break to remain engaged with the science community and return to work. Must be a member of the Biochemical Society.
4) Government of Australia, Royal College of Nursing Nurse Scholarship Program: National Nurse Re-entry Scheme
For nurses out of workforce at least five years. Scholarships are worth up to $6,000 (Australian $) each for up to two years of study in an accredited or approved Australian nursing program. Began 2008, ongoing, annual.
5) Government of Australia, Department of Health and Ageing: Bringing Nurses Back into the Workforce Program
Government Recruitment Program awarding bonuses to nurses returning to the workforce after at least one year out. Began 2008.
6) Daphne Jackson Trust (U. K. Foundation): Daphne Jackson Fellowship
Two-year flexible, paid, part-time research fellowships at universities or in industry for those on career break from SET careers. Began 1985. 200+ success stories, 96% success rate in returning fellows to SET careers. Ongoing, annual.
7) British Computer Society Women’s Forum/EU: Equalitec (E.U. funded organization to promote Gender Equality in Technology, Electronics and Communications) Get Back & Get On Career Workshops One-day workshops: a) Internet & Computing with BBC and Google, b) Health Infor-matics and Medical Imaging with Fujitsu, Kodak, and the U.K. National Health Service. Ran May 2006
8) European Molecular Biology Organization (intergovernmental organization): EMBO Long Term Fellowships for Scientific Researchers
Two-year research fellowships for those on career break from scientific research careers. Annual, ongoing.
9) Greater New York Automobile Dealers Association: Women in the Driver’s Seat: Automotive Career Forum for Women One-day program for those entering or re-entering careers in retail auto industry. Ran 2006, 2007.
10) ICAEW, British Accountancy and Finance Professional Association: Updating classes, coaching, events.
Coaching by appointment, rest – ongoing.
11) ICAEW, British Accountancy and Finance Professional Association: Narrowing the Gap program for accountants in the UK. 2008 to present, periodically.
12) Indie Training Fund: Free course for women returners to TV
The course is for women working in TV who have taken a career break for maternity or other reasons, or are about to do so. The course is lead by Sue Ahern and Helen Black of Creative People, who specialize in helping individuals realize their potential. Creative People recruits, trains and coaches people in the broadcasting business. Course takes place in London. Began 2011. Not sure if it is still running.
13) The Law Society, Oxford, England: WLD Returner Course
Two-day course provides returning solicitors, men and women, with the tools they require to enable them to return to the profession after a career break.
14) London Mathematical Society, Grace Chisholm Young Fellowships
Two fellowships each year to mathematicians who need support when their career is interrupted by family responsibilities, relocation of partner, or other similar circumstance, making possible some continuous mathematical activity, so enabling the fellow to be in a position to apply for posts when circumstances allow.
15) L’Oreal and U.K. Resource Center in Science, Engineering and Technology (SET): Fellowships for Women in Science
Three scholarships of £10,000 each to PhD women scientists and engineers returning to academic careers after at least a one-year break. Prize money can be used for childcare costs, to employ an assistant, or do whatever recipients feel necessary to enable them to continue with their research in a way that suits them and their lifestyles.
16) Minerva Foundation, Vancouver, British Columbia: Minerva Helping Women Work
11 hours per week for eight weeks; in-depth assessment, career advising, mentoring and recruiting assistance. $C825. Began 2004.
17) National Association of Women Lawyers (NAWL): Ready to On-Ramp Program (link is for NAWL resources, not program)
One-day program, $30 (partially underwritten by NAWL & sponsors). Ran 2007, 2008.
18) National Institutes of Health (NIH): Reentry Grants for those returning to biomedical or behavioral research careers.
Up to three years support for those returning from a career break. Must attach to existing NIH grant. Began 1992. Ongoing. See article here.
19) New Jersey State Bar Association Lawyers in Transition Committee - Running ongoing programming and resources for lawyers who want to switch career focus or who are coming back to the workforce after a career break. Resources include networking and educational events, a full-day conference in February, a practical epublication guide for members, and the upcoming February 2015 New Jersey Lawyer magazine focusing on issues facing lawyers in transition.
20) New York City Bar Association, New York, NY: Break from the Law
Ongoing series of events for lawyers on career break, pricing varies depending on event. 2009 – present. Offered periodically.
21) OPERATION A.B.L.E. OF GREATER Boston, Boston, MA: A.B.L.E. Midternship Program
Non-profit which helps workers age 45+ return to the workforce. Four week minimum, temporary employee who is older and under/unemployed and looking for a job.
22) Professional Service Group of Central New Jersey (PSGCNJ): 2.5-day Accelerated Career Training (ACT) program offered to members during the first week of each month. After completing ACT Training, members become eligible to attend free modules in resume review and mock interviews.
23) Science and Technology Facilities Council (U.K. based): Post Doctoral and Advanced Fellowships – “Returners” strongly encouraged to apply.
Up to three-year grant, institutions where research will take place are encouraged to provide mentorship and updating as part of hosting grant recipient. Applications due September of each year.
24) The Nature Conservancy, Washington, D.C.: The Nature Conservancy Globe Program
Paid, 11-week summer internships for current students and recent graduates of Bachelors, Masters, or PhD programs. Age of students is not a factor nor is it relevant whether the person took a career break before beginning one of these degree programs. Began 2007, annual.
25) State Bar of Arizona is planning a re-entry program in September 2013, the first ever in Arizona. Ms. Kathleen Weber, Esq. is organizing this program. No further details were available at publication.
26) Stamford Innovation Center Roadmap Program. Piloted May 2014. Partnered with iRelaunch Boot Camp small group coaching for first two modules of program. The third module, Roadmap, will occur in September 2014 with 4 two hour sessions on tech updating and the opportunity to interview for projects at Stamford Innovation Center - connected companies.
27) UK Resource Center in Science, Engineering, Technology (SET): Range of initiatives. Courses, workshops, resources for returners, 2004 – 2010.
28) WISET - Center for Women in Science, Engineering and Technology (Korea)
Return to Work Program for Women in STEM. Started 2012; ongoing. Roughly 200 women have participated to date.
29) Women in Capital Markets (WCM) Return to Bay Street (RTBS): WCM offers up to five annual $5,000 scholarships and paid four-month internships with BMO Capital Markets (in Toronto), National Bank, RBC, and Scotiabank to women preparing to relaunch a full-time career in the Canadian capital markets industry. Must have at least 5 years experience in capital markets or related field. Also includes a WCM mentor and 1-year WCM membership. Began 2012, annual.
ABOUT IRELAUNCH: iRelaunch’s Comprehensive List of Career Reentry Programs Worldwide is compiled by the iRelaunch team, headed by Carol Fishman Cohen, CEO and co-founder of iRelaunch and co-author of career reentry strategy book Back on the Career Track. iRelaunch "the Return to Work Experts®" connects individuals returning to work after a career break with employers interested in recruiting them. iRelaunch’s signature event, the iRelaunch Return to Work Conference, is the only large scale gathering bringing together these constituencies in a university setting. The Conference is not a career fair, but a day of intensive education about career reentry strategy and substantive networking. Employer sponsors have included Accenture, A.T. Kearney, Bloomberg, Capital One, Citi, Credit Suisse, Ernst & Young, Goldman Sachs, J.P. Morgan, McKinsey, Merrill Lynch Wealth Management, MetLife, Morgan Stanley, PIMCO, PwC, and more. See www.returntoworkconference.com for details. Over 4,000 people have attended. Over 13,000 people have participated in iRelaunch's more than 185 programs and presentations to date. A graduate of Harvard Business School, Cohen, a mother of four, resumed her career after a multi-year career break. Cohen's return to work is documented in a Harvard Business School case study. Cohen, Back on the Career Track and iRelaunch are regularly featured in the national press.
©2015, iRelaunch LLC www.irelaunch.com Reprint by permission only; Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org