We caught up with Himani to dive a little deeper into her relaunch story and the advice she has for other relaunchers...
What was different (and beneficial) about returning to work through a career-reentry program?
So many benefits!
- Provide a structured and supportive pathway back to the workforce. Along with mentoring and coaching, these programs help people like me transition back into the workforce successfully. This can help individuals feel more confident and prepared to take on new challenges.
- Reduces the stigma of career breaks: By providing a path back to work, career reentry programs can help individuals feel more valued and supported by their employers and society as a whole. The Insight Career Reboot program walks the talk. I was a full-time Insight teammate on day one, and I got 16 weeks of support through the program.
- Helps employers tap into a diverse talent pool. I am increasingly observing that these programs help employers tap into a diverse talent pool by attracting experienced and highly skilled individuals who may have otherwise been overlooked due to their career breaks.
What is your advice for relaunchers?
- Identify your goals: Take some time to reflect on what you want to achieve in your new career. This will help you stay focused and motivated.
- Build your skills: Invest in yourself by taking courses, attending workshops, or networking with professionals in your new field.
- Be open-minded: Be open to new experiences and challenges. Don't be afraid to take on projects or tasks outside of your comfort zone.
- Stay positive: Stay optimistic and focus on your strengths. Celebrate your achievements, no matter how small they may be.
What were the biggest challenges you faced during the relaunch process, and how did you overcome them?
- Starting over: I had already invested a significant amount of time and energy into my previous role back home and the thought of starting over was daunting. New country, new baby, new home - I was a bit lost on where to start. UX/UI returnships are also far and between.
- Balancing responsibilities: I love my daughter to bits but was definitely challenging to think about balancing my career with family obligations. Not being financially dependent, not getting enough intellectual stimulation , not working towards deadlines would add to the frustration. Working helps me maintain my own identity and I was missing that.